Vocalist.org archive

From:  Joel Figen <natural@w...>
Date:  Thu Jun 15, 2000  6:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Bach and Basses

At 09:00 AM 06/15/2000 -0700, Tako Oda wrote:
>I had heard that there are many old German organs which are actually
>tuned *higher* than A=440... very interesting - Does anyone know what
>pitches with which Bach worked during different phases of his career?

There was a pitch standard called "Chorton" (choral pitch) that was said to be
a minor third higher than orchestral pitch of the time - which everyone knows
was slightly lower than now. Organs were often tuned to ChorTon - this could
account for some of the very low notes in Bach's choral parts - I guess we'd
have to look at all the old manuscripts to see how they were notated.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2473 Re: Bach and Basses Tako Oda   Thu  6/15/2000   2 KB

emusic.com