Vocalist.org archive

From:  Bob Kravitz <bobkravitz@e...>
Date:  Tue Jun 13, 2000  10:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary]Training Methods.

I Agree....I could not perform for 4 years and yet it was art songs.........Worth The Wait.....Bobby, Philly

"Jennifer L. Fretwell" wrote:

>  Technique first -- no
>performing, no auditioning, no study of any aspect of
>music other than technique.  Five years at the least.
>Then begin to build other skills (whether it's "on the
>fly," in a contract or apprenticeship, or by moving on
>to grad school) necessary for a career.

>Isabelle B.

I don't feel so bad after hearing this... I have been studying privately with a voice teacher for two years. I have yet to sing publicly. A lot of people, particularly family members, have chided me for calling myself a "singer" when I don't actually sing anywhere. I have always countered with the reply that Maria Callas studied for three years before she ever performed publicly. My voice teacher wants me start singing with am amateur group in the fall, though. He feels that performing will help my voice to grow at this point.

Jennifer Fretwell, soprano