Vocalist.org archive

From:  "saint james" <stjames@l...>
Date:  Tue Jun 13, 2000  7:16 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] lieder for beginning singers (was: Ameling etc.)

-----Original Message-----
From: John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
To: vocalist-temporary@egroups.com <>
Date: Monday, June 12, 2000 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: [vocalist-temporary] lieder for beginning singers (was: Ameling
etc.)

>Lovely rant, Isabelle!
> But surely we could squeeze some language training in there too? North
>American singers so often have mediocre German, Bad French, ridiculous
>Russian and Italian with those funny dipthongs in 'em. It's easier to whack
>this out of 'em while they're young! john

James nods.....

In lieder the singer, the poet's words (with excellent diction !), and the
piano each need equal preparation and finesse. This is a lot for a young
singer to pull off. Through high school and first year college I did
nothing but Italian or English. Then I worked on Dichterliebe and Schubert,
mostly Peace and love from the high desert of northern New Mexico,

Saint James
mailto:
stjames@l...
http://www.la-tierra.com/stjames

"Ask the plants of the earth and they will teach you." Job 12:8

emusic.com