Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sun Jun 11, 2000  10:44 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] opera history question

Dear Kathleen and Vocalisters:

I would suggest a book which should be a part of every opera lovers
library, in my opinion. "A Short History of Opera" by Donald J.
Grout. He revised the book a number of times but its strongest
sections are found in the info on the beginnings of opera. Grout is
a most highly respected music historian and I had the privilege of
taking a course in the history of opera from him at Carlton College
in 1955. We used the above mentioned book in manuscript form. He
was a stunning lecturer. I wish we had had small tape recorders at
that time. I would like to have recorded his every word.

Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy
School of Performing Arts
Northern Arizona University