Vocalist.org archive

From:  IMuzicgoil@a...
Date:  Tue Mar 11, 2003  3:03 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] American Idol .... my first viewing of this debocle

singing is an art. we all have our own opinions on what sounds good to us
and what doesn't, just as we all have our opinions on what movie is good,
what actor is talented (i nearly want to puke when i watch kevin costner or
leonardo dicaprio--but i know they are seen as talented to many), which
artwork is appealing, etc. i have seen some paintings that go for thousands
that look nothing more like fingerpainting done by a 3 year old, but others
are able to see something i am apparently not able to, just as i've been
deeply moved by a $5 piece of art found at a drugstore. and i have heard
some people sing who i have found to be absolutely beautiful, clear and
almost angelic--only to be critized by so-called "experts". and this is
ok--this difference of opinion.

i have watched american idol maybe 2-3 times, all for just a few minutes at a
time--to see what this simon guy is all about. regardless of his experience
in the industry, his behavior is appalling. he's nothing more than a
pretentious, arrogant creep and the idea that people regularly watch this
show just continues to allow this man to play the cruel god to the singing
world.

i've always believed that if i believe in myself, if i believe in my gift
(whatever that happens to be), then the whole world can look at me and tell
me i stink, tell me i'm wrong, whatever...... and that won't stop me from
sharing it or continuing my pursuit to share it.

i had to stop voice lessons a little while back due to $$, but i will never
forget what my teacher told me--everyone has a beautiful voice--with good
techniques and lots of practice, learning how to stand back and let it out
(put the ego aside), anyone can sing.

so yes, as far as simon telling someone to stop their pursuit of singing,
that is ridiculous. i have a dear friend who had taken lessons for 2 years
and had such a hard time staying on key. but she kept at it and nearly 3
years later, she's improved greatly.

emusic.com