Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Steve Fraser" <Steve.Fraser@j...>
Date:  Tue Mar 11, 2003  12:30 am
Subject:  Re: Opening the Jaw

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah"
<singsoprano2003@y...> wrote:

> Do you do this exercise through out the students range or just on
one
> note?
>
> The reason I ask is that I have a man who thinks he is a tenor. I
am
> not sure what voice type he is but he does have a very tight jaw
> especially on top notes. I thought that this exercise should work
> well through out the range. Have you found this so?

This exercise can be done just about anywhere. I would start in the
middle voice and work out from there.

Now, on the topic of the student you mention, I think another great
exercise for a locked jaw is to ask the singer to move the lower jaw
_side_to_side while singing a vowel. Begin this in the range where
the tension does not exhibit itself, and then move upward.

Also, syllables such as 'eeyaw' can be use in arpeggios nicely,
especially if you ridiculously accentuate the up/down jaw motion.
Most singers do not need to move their jaws to do this syllable, but
making this sort-of chewing motion while singing the syllable cannot
be done if the jaw is locked.

Another way that this last exercise could be done is to have the
student place their own index finger between the front teeth as they
do the eeyaw arpeggios. The teeth should not come so close together
as to painfully bite the finger. They also can do the exercise
(finger placed there) _without_ moving the jaw, too. In that case,
the tongue is the making the eeyaw changes entirely.

All the best,

Steven Fraser

emusic.com