Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Deborah" <singsoprano2003@y...>
Date:  Mon Mar 10, 2003  10:08 am
Subject:  Re: Opening the Jaw

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Fraser
<Steve.Fraser@j...>" <Steve.Fraser@j...> wrote:
> --- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Lloyd W. Hanson"
> <lloyd.hanson@n...> wrote excellent points about the position of
the
> jaw in singing.
>
> Lloyd and Listers:
>
> The one factor I would like to mention about jaw position is its
> correlation with the size and shape of the mouth opening, which
> directly affect the efficiency of the acoustic coupling of the
buccal
> cavity to the outside air. While I agree that there is
no 'correct'
> jaw position which should be used for all vowels, at all dynamic
> levels, on all pitches, there is likely to be one that is optimal
> (that is, the most sound for the least effort) for a given vowel,
at
> a given volume, at a given pitch.
>
> That much having been said, as a matter of studio practice, I have
> found it beneficial to teach students the direct acoustical effects
> of mouth position changes. The exercise I use is straightforward:
> have the student sing 'Uh' while smiling with their teeth lightly
> touching. Most think the sound is 'funny' and that it tickles a
> little. Then, I have them drop the front of the jaw slowly and
listen
> to the change in the sound. WIth a little practice, most notice
that
> their voice sounds more clear when their mouth is comfortably
relaxed
> open about 1 thumb width, or just a little less. Relaxed in that
> location, they can do all the consonants quite readily, and can
both
> open more and close more as is required to fine-tune the resonance
> profile.
>
> To my way of thinking, arbitrary 'deep' drops of the jaw are most
> often used (IMO, unadvisedly) when trying to increase the
projection
> power of the voice, or to 'deepen' or 'darken' the resonance. The
> danger is introducing unnecessary tension. IMO, there are many
other
> places to look first when beginning that quest, and most of them
are
> unseen by the audience.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Steven Fraser

dear Steven,

Do you do this exercise through out the students range or just on one
note?

The reason I ask is that I have a man who thinks he is a tenor. I am
not sure what voice type he is but he does have a very tight jaw
especially on top notes. I thought that this exercise should work
well through out the range. Have you found this so?

Thankyou

Deborah

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23222 Re: Opening the JawSteve Fraserdstevenfraser Tue  3/11/2003
emusic.com