Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sun Mar 9, 2003  3:24 am
Subject:  Asymmetry in the Larynx vrs Asymmetry of Oscillation

Dear vocalisters:

Asymmetry in the Larynx and Asymmetry of Oscillation are not
necessarily related. I have read little about asymmetry of the
larynx but I am aware of the comments from Ingo Titze about asymmetry
of oscillation. The latter condition is often caused by improper
onset of oscillation. The vocal folds are more likely to begin with
a symmetrical oscillation if they are preset to the proper position
for that more correct oscillation pattern. We, as singers, have only
one method of determining if that proper preset condition exists and
that is by judging the results of our vocal onset or attack of tone.
The value of onset exercises is not so much learning how to begin a
tone correctly as it is how it trains us to preset the vocal
mechanism for the beginning of tone. This presetting is called
pre-phonatory tuning and it is crucial to developing a balanced and
natural vocal production.

Asymmetric oscillation means simply that the vocal folds are not
working together, one with the other, in a symmetrical way. The
oscillation pattern of one of vocal folds is different from the
other. It is logical that this condition will produce a tone that
has non-harmonic features and non-harmonic sound patterns do not
produce the tonal quality desired in classical singing. The do
represent a desired sound pattern for Louis Armstrong.

I have found that onset emphasis is the easiest way to correct
asymmetric sound production.
--
Lloyd W. Hanson

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23199 Re: Asymmetry in the Larynx vrs Asymmetry of Oscillationethan embryuser3095d Sun  3/9/2003
emusic.com