Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Sat Mar 8, 2003  12:55 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] recommendations?

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Jodie Bean wrote:

> Hello all
> Can anyone recommend any fantastic graduate schools
> that have great opera performance programs? I would
> really appreciate anyone's opinions, I am looking into
> grad schools all over the world so let me know :)

IN THE U.S.

Longy School of Music (Cambridge, MA)

Manhattan School of Music (NYC, NY)

University of Texas-Austin

Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL)

Northwestern University (Chicago, IL)

Temple University Esther Boyer College of Music (Philadelphia, PA)

Juilliard School (NYC, NY)

University of Indiana-Bloomington (Diploma Program only)

University of Cincinnati (OH) College Conservatory of Music

Yale University, Yale School of Music Opera Program (New Haven, CT)

Academy of Vocal Arts Opera Theatre (Philadelphia, PA)

North Carolina School of the Arts, A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
(Winston-Salem, NC)

The Boston (MA) Conservatory

Boston University School of Music Opera Institute

Also Noteworthy:

National Opera Studio (London, UK)

Mirella Freni - Nicolai Ghiaurov Opera School at Centro Universale del Bel
Canto (Vignola, Modena, Italy)

OUTSIDE THE U.S.

Universitaet Mozarteum Salzburg (Austria)

Konservatorium der Stadt Wien (Vienna, Austria)

Guildhall School of Music and Drama (London, UK)

Royal College of Music (London, UK) Benjamin Britten International Opera
School

University of Sydney (Australia), Sydney Conservatorium of Music

University of Toronto (Ontario, Canada)

University of Cape Town, South African College of Music Opera School

---

On another subject: Did anyone else happen to hear yesterday's Morning
Edition, which featured a segment on the new Opera Program at Fiorello
LaGuardia High School (the "Fame" school) in New York City? The school is
staging its first opera - ORFEO ED EURIDICE. The program itself was
started to fill the void that the school had previously, i.e., it had no
programs to accommodate young singers who were not interested in choral,
jazz, or pop performance but who wanted to sing opera. I haven't had a
chance to go to the school's website to learn more, but was simply
delighted with what I heard on NPR - the first high school opera programme
in the country!

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
O music, that openest the abysses of the soul!
Thou dost destroy the normal balance of the mind.
- Romain Rolland, JEAN-CHRISTOPHE

emusic.com