Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jodie Bean <bean2871_2000@y...>
Date:  Fri Mar 7, 2003  1:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Blending Registers, Mezzo Hole In The Voice Issue

> Are there mezzos and contraltos who only use head
> voice I wonder ?

When I first started singing at my university, I
studied with a woman who had just returned from living
in Germany for 13 years. She had me sing everything
in my head voice, until it got too low and there was
just no possible way to do it all in head. She might
have been doing it to strengthen those muscles
(because I had never sung classical before) and it
actually helped. Now I could never imagine singing
anything below an A above middle C in full head. I
know at least for me the problem with singing all in
head as a mezzo lies where I just can't get enough
sound on the lower notes all in head. Just wanted to
share that I have done all of my singing in head
voice, but I like mixing a whole lot better!
Jodie