Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michelle" <drama_diva_au@y...>
Date:  Fri Mar 7, 2003  6:05 am
Subject:  Re: Training of Singing Teachers

Deborah, sorry I can't be a bit more specific but I feel there are so
many aspects to what "makes a good teacher" that all I can tell you
from personal experience is EVERYTHING. I did my training both as a
performer and a teacher first at a Conservatorium of Music and later
at a University. What I bring to my students is a mix of mostly my
formal education but also many other elements including my own
private curiousity about and studies of psychology and philosphy, my
training in and exposure to yoga and other body work, my (very) early
dance training, my two years study in an undergrad course of acting
and my dogged follow up of learning the proper teaching of
contemporary styles of singing and probably much more.

It's not a simple thing to outline. I am one of those people who has
never stopped wanting to learn.

Listening to and knowing who is out there performing, be it by live
performance, CD, radio, internet, television, magazines books,
whatever means possible is essential. Likewise with teachers. (So
many books, so little money to buy them.) Keeping in touch with
others in related professions (this list especially is INVALUABLE),
getting the best education you can find, staying flexible in your
outlook and attitude the same time maintaining your integrity, all
this and more figures into what makes a good teacher.

It's not always possible to have a mentor but it can be a wonderfully
supportive way to start. My own teachers, both good and bad, have
probably been my biggest influences.

Is there any information you can give us about what your aspirations
and aims are that might lead to us being able to give you more
specific opinion?

Michelle

emusic.com