Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Steve Fraser" <Steve.Fraser@j...>
Date:  Thu Mar 6, 2003  11:48 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Baritones and Contraltos

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, Karen Mercedes
<dalila@R...> wrote:
> I think perhaps one reason we may have (or appear to have) fewer
> contraltos and basses is that modern vocal technique tends to
discourage "covering" to artificially darken the voice.

Karen and Listers;

So, is this really about the selection of vowel colors & resonance
balance appropriate to a specific piece of literature? That seems to
me to be an aesthetic consideration, a choice, more than a vocal
technical issue.

Now, as to the way one 'covers' tone in that range, let me offer some
other opinions. First, though doing it definitely _feels_ like a
cover is being put on, to my ear, what is actually happening is that
the singer is increasing the intensity of muscle action of the crico-
thyroid, in effect, making the tone 'head-ier' in a region of the
voice usually dominated by the action of the thyro-arytenoids. The
net effect of strong action in both these muscle groups (whether done
by men or women) produces a very full resonance with significant
energy in the lower harmonics, and somewhat less energy in the upper
ones. We subjectively interpret these sounds as deep, warm, lush,
smooth, etc. If an accompanying modification is made to the
resonator adjustments, the effect can be emphasized or mitigated at
the singer's choice.

Karen, a question for you: When you sing with this tone, what
happens to the 'cover' sensation if you sing an octave arpeggio from
low to middle voice? Does your voice transition automatically to your
midvoice using the same resonance adjustment (that is, position of
the tongue, lips, jaw, etc)? Just curious, as I have never had the
distinct pleasure of training a contralto. :-)

Best Regards,

Steven Fraser

emusic.com