Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Steve Fraser" <Steve.Fraser@j...>
Date:  Thu Mar 6, 2003  11:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Nose

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, John Link <johnlink@n...>
wrote:
> >I sing through my nose alot, Is there anyway to stop this?

Adding to what John Link said, I find that syllables begun with a
crisp P or hard G are especially helpful. The first vowel I would
use is the long Oh. When you have that one the way you want it, then
put a string of vowels together with those consonants alternating.

For example, PO-GO-PO-GO-PO-GO (quarter note at 80) on a single
pitch, then later on a scale pattern or arpeggio. You may even do
this pattern of syllables on the melody of a song you are practicing.

A hint: when you do the G consonant, think of it as opening in
the 'up' direction in your mouth, rather than a 'down' direction.

Good luck,

Steven Fraser

emusic.com