Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Thu Mar 6, 2003  5:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Exercises for blending registers...

Dear Ed and Vocliters;

I would be most interested in how many of the voice teachers on this
list still use the Yawn-sigh techniques with their students. It was
a big rage during the 50's and into the 60's but I seldom hear anyone
mention it much anymore. Vennard emphasized it in his early work.
However, it came under a lot of fire for producing a swallowed tone
and I am not sure how Vennard reacted to this in his later revisions
of his original book.

The same "popular" techniques idea can also be applied to the rage to
"place the voice in the masque", which is still around. It was first
promoted by Curtis, caught on and heavily used, then criticized for
its tendency to produce an overly bright, tense vocal sound that
often became noticeably nasal.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23127 Re: Exercises for blending registers...Steve Fraserdstevenfraser Thu  3/6/2003
23150 Re: Exercises for blending registers...Sharon Szymanskisszymanski27514 Fri  3/7/2003
23154 Re: Exercises for blending registers...Edward Nortonbelcantist2003 Fri  3/7/2003
emusic.com