Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Steve Fraser" <Steve.Fraser@j...>
Date:  Thu Mar 6, 2003  5:03 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Exercises for blending registers...

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "deliamayit"
<deliamay@h...> wrote:

> However, my burning question still remaining is, if you have to
> descend or ascend legato step-wise across the break, whereabouts to
> introduce/leave off chest (and how to do it so that nobody can
tell!)

The very best way is to blend the registers, coaxing the involvement
of the lighter sound below that point, and the heavier sound above
that point, so that you have many combinations you can use depending
on the direction and dynamic of the phrase. Remember, the voice is a
continuum... work to make it smoothly and evenly produced, and the
changes will occur incrementally rather than suddenly.

Also, please note that the _feelings_ you have as you make these
transitions may not represent substantial changes in the _sound_.
Record yourself, so that you can tell what the listener will
experience when you do these problematic phrases.

To specific blending techniques: MATCH the dynamics and the vowels.
Those are the two things that the listener's ear will pick up as
indicating consistency or inconsistency; true even if you are singing
legato in the same region of the voice. PRESERVE syllabic stress, and
the interpretation of the legato line's dynamic tendencies. WORDS,
especially if they begin with consonants, provide an opportunity to
change your registration balance without announcing that fact.

Best Regards,

Steven Fraser

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23125 Re: Exercises for blending registers...deliamayitdeliamayit Thu  3/6/2003
emusic.com