Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Christopher <leskayc@y...>
Date:  Wed Mar 5, 2003  10:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Baritones and Contraltos

Dear list,
This thread is especially interesting in light of something I experienced
yesterday. I was getting ready to leave the studio after my last class and one
of the private voice teachers stopped me in the hall and excitedly told me to
come into her studio and hear a phenomenal voice. I did, and there stood a very
large young black girl in a Catholic High uniform. The teacher began to
vocalize this kid and out poured the most amazing voice--very rich, full, round,
dark, plummy, (how else can I say it?) and this was this kid's 2nd lesson. She
has never sung before-no church choir or school choir. I was immediately struck
by the color of the voice in so young a girl-she is 16-and asked the teacher a
question about her lower range, and she said to me: "Oh, I haven't even worked
her down there. Last week she was knocking out high As and Bflats." Well,
after reading this thread I wonder--could this be a real true contralto?
Because if it is I bet she will wind up a mezzo......But oh, what a voice~
Just musing, Leslie

emusic.com