Vocalist.org archive

From:  "lestaylor2003" <LesTaylor@a...>
Date:  Wed Mar 5, 2003  6:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Motivation.

You wrote:
Les. I don't know if you read all I wrote but you seem to have missed
the important point that I REJECTED the glib contention that there
was only the two categories. vis; FEAR and SELFISHNESS. Have another
look!
My apologies.

I agree with your premise that fear is a negative motivation. I also
believe that it can be the result of self-obsession, however; I don't
agree that fear and self-obsession are one and the same. There can be
many legitimate causes for fear other than self-obsession.

I am more interested in how you arrived at these premises than in the
premises themselves.

You stated: "selfishness is the argument of persons with an axe to
grind." I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion since you
offer no explanation as to why you felt that way.

Flat statements given without reasonable explanations tend to
frustrate me.

Call it a personality flaw if you will but I don't see the world in
absolute, high contrast terms. There is too much information missing
to know anything with absolute certainty. And yes, I am familiar with
scientific method, socratic method, diagnostics and formal logic.
Reg: Just by the way, in choosing the term otherness as a complement
to selfishness, I reject a substitute that includes some variation of
self, such as unselfishness. The term "other" is an exclusive
requirement.
I prefer generally accepted definitions for words rather than to
change meanings for my own purposes. So, I guess, in your terms, I
respectfully reject that definition as too idiosyncratic. Let us use
standard definitions for things and back up our premises with reason.
Reg: You're still dithering around in the self limitations of F&S
Les.
The statement above upsets me. Are you really accusing me of being
fearful, selfish and dithering around in self-limitations? Do you
really mean to be telling me what I am thinking and doing?
Reg: Everyone has an ego, even women who often classify it as another
male weakness.
That's a gross generalization. It is a stereotype that has a rather
misogynistic sense to it. We have no way of knowing anything for sure
about what anyone else thinks or believes. We can guess from what
they tell us but that's about it.
Regards,
Les

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23107 Re: Motivation.Reg Boyletranquil2404 Thu  3/6/2003
emusic.com