Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Christine Thomas" <Mezzoid@w...>
Date:  Wed Mar 5, 2003  3:24 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Countertenors and repertoire.

I've called that "biddies, boys and b*tches."

Christine Thomas
Voice Studio of Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

"If you look goofy, you probably sound goofy."
--Marianna Busching
One of my best friends is a mezzo-soprano, so I feel I can honestly say this.
Given the dearth of contraltos out there, if you're not willing to "drag up" and
do the "old geezer" thing, you're losing alot of wonderful repertoire! Yes,
some talented C-T's are stepping into some of this repertoire.
Elizabeth (my mezzo friend originally from Illinois) always says that
mezzo-sopranos have to "Geezer up", "Frump Up" and "Whore Up"!! If you forgo
the Geezer repertoire, you can still frump and whore to your heart's content,
but you'll miss out on Orfeo, Octavian, Adriano, Cherubino, Sextus, Arsace, etc,
etc.!! Personally, I'd enjoy the "Whoring Up" much more than the "Frumping Up"
(one dear mezzo friend played a GRANDMOTHER at the ripe ol' age of
TWENTY-FIVE!!!!).

emusic.com