Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Wed Mar 5, 2003  1:44 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Motivation.

Les.
>Oh, I thought it was "FEAR or SELFISHNESS" as you
prefaced your first post. Now it's compulsion and self-love?

Les. I don't know if you read all I wrote but you seem
to have missed the important point that I REJECTED
the glib contention that there was only the two categories.
vis; FEAR and SELFISHNESS. Have another look!

THAT, above, F&S is the argument of persons with an
axe to grind. It seems I need to repeat that in my humble
opinion there are 4 gross groupings and more important,
that fear is NOT ONLY a negative motivation, but is in fact
self-obsession. This challenges "fear" as a legitimate
motivation as the F&S argument suggests. This activity
is paralyzing Of course everyone experiences it at
times but if it is recognized for what it is, then one can
take steps to alleviate its affect.

The "otherness" group and the "self destructive" you fail
to mention so I guess you reject their relevance. Just by
the way, in choosing the term otherness as a complement
to selfishness, I reject a substitute that includes some
variation of self, such as unselfishness. The term "other"
is an exclusive requirement.

>Huge egos don't give a crap what anybody thinks. Fragile
>egos are very sensitive to what anyone thinks.

You're still dithering around in the self limitations of F&S
Les. Everyone has an ego, even women who often classify it
as another male weakness. Nothing wrong with having an
ego and goodness knows there are some beauties on this
board. Another thing. I'm sure that everyone shifts between
both your ego states quite regularly. Otherwise we would
not survive. Once again it is a matter of seeking a balance
but accepting the fact that we will journey into both
extremes.

Regards Reg.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23084 Re: Motivation.lestaylor2003lestaylor2003 Wed  3/5/2003
23098 Re: Motivation.lestaylor2003lestaylor2003 Wed  3/5/2003
23107 Re: Motivation.Reg Boyletranquil2404 Thu  3/6/2003
emusic.com