Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SMSchneider" <smschneider23@r...>
Date:  Wed Mar 5, 2003  1:07 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Countertenors and repertoire.

Hi, Michelle,

You asked interesting questions and expressed yourself very clearly. I don't
think anyone should be offended by your remarks.

I certainly cannot take issue with your dislike of the countertenor voice.
Some people don't like the sound of the French horn. So, you don't like
countertenors. Fine. You don't like singing pants roles. I think this may
hamper your career a bit if you're a mezzo, but to each her own. I do think
you may perceive the business of singing roles and various poetry a little
more narrowly than you might.

Although I'm Jewish, I often find myself performing oratorios of Christian
masses. Do I find some discomfort in doing this? Occasionally. But for me,
the joy of reaching *beyond* the text into the soul of the music far
outweighs any discomfort I may have with the words. It seems to me that
cross-gender roles have the same issue. Suspension of disbelief goes for the
singer, too. A friend of mine is performing in a premiere of an opera in
France right now as a parrot. Dan is not a parrot, he's a man. A
countertenor, in fact!!! It may not be the most musically gratifying role
he's ever done, but what the hell. It pays, it's with a major house, it's
fun and whatever other good he gets out of it all goes into the pot.

And why sing rather than play another instrument if the words are less
important to me? Because voice is my instrument. It's how I express my soul.
Sorry it's that selfish, but there it is.

Susan

emusic.com