Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Steve Fraser <Steve.Fraser@j...
Date:  Tue Mar 4, 2003  8:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Counter Tenors

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, Edward Norton
<belcantist2003@y...> wrote about countertenor treatment in the
south:

Hey, Ed and Listers. You want to hear countertenors in the South?
They are already accepted and doing quite well, thankyou, singing two
types of music with great success and respect of other musicians, and
audience enjoyment: Barbershop (as the 'tenor' part, above
the 'lead') and Gospel music, especially in male quartets.

While a great many of the barbershop tenors are using reinforced
falsetto (ala Alfred Deller) many others are true high tenors who
have taken the time to learn the control of fullvoice soft singing
which is required of the Tenor part. For those that do not know, in
Barbershop, the Tenor is very often the _softest_ of the voices.

By the way... if you want to hear contraltos... go to a Sweet
Adeline's Concert. The 'bass' part of these lady's groups is a
natural for that kind of voice.

We are very fortunate here in Dallas to have fabulous examples of
both these types of groups, singing at a world-class level. Of the
many in our part of the world, the best examples I have heard: Sweet
Adelines group called 'The Rich Tones', and the men's group 'The
Vocal Majority'. Both of them sing much more than just barbershop
style music, they are true performing choruses with exciting stage
movement and costume work as well.

Go listen! The countertenors and contraltos are out there...

Best Regards,

Steven Fraser

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23063 Barbershop Tenors, was Re: [vocalist] Counter TenorsMichael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Tue  3/4/2003