Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SMSchneider" <smschneider23@r...>
Date:  Tue Mar 4, 2003  4:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Exercises for blending registers...

Hi, David,

I don't usually jump into technical discussions except to ask a question,
but this technical problem is one I've been bugged with for my whole singing
life. I have FINALLY found the way to blend the registers, - at least it
works for me. This is founded on - ok, get your flame throwers ready -
Cornelius Reid's principles, as taught by Conrad Osborne, a former student
of Cornelius' and a wonderful teacher and writer.

I start with easy low chest voice exercises on one note, sustaining it and
flipping the tongue easily to make Ahhh La La La La. Stay in chest range,
don't push for volume. Then starting on about d an octave above middle c
sing a 5-note scale down with an easy onset, a "light, delicate" sound, as
Conrad puts it. It's really just unpushed head voice, with enough
compression to keep the sound from being breathy. Sing a few of these,
proceeding downward past the break. Stay in that "gear" and don't let chest
come in. Then do it again, and when you get to the bottom note, crescendo
gently, staying in the head voice, not allowing chest to enter until it
absolutely has to. Occasionally go back down to do an easy chest voice
excercise as above.

When the bottom note of the 5-note scale is solid, doesn't crack or break
too soon into chest, START with that and go up 5 steps or an arpeggio. Start
at the break or just above. Then do it again, starting below the break. It
took me months to get this sequence without the voice doing ugly things at
the break, but man, it's working. The high notes are not too heavy, the
middle is strong, there's no break now between registers. There are
practically an infinite number of variations - go octaves instead of 5
steps; do arpeggios instead of scales, whatever. But the principle is to
build from the top into the middle, and then from the bottom into the
middle, strengthening the weak head voice register near the break and using
that strength to balance against the stronger chest. This has been
miraculous for me. Hope it helps!

Susan