Vocalist.org archive

From:  Edward Norton <belcantist2003@y...>
Date:  Sat Mar 1, 2003  3:33 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Church Choir Alto Issue: i.e. Short-Ranged Sopranos Aren't Altos...

Hi, Cindi & Listers:
Cindi wrote: "As for glorifying God, just as a bassoon clunking on a note would
distract the audience, even temporarily, from the beauty of a piece, so would a
poorly trained or ineffectual singer distract from a worship service, especially
and most particularly if that singer is a soloist. Cindi from KY"

I certainly agree! I sang with my choir members a number of years ago in a
performance of Handel's "Messiah" that was indeed the most half-baked production
I've ever in my life seen! The talented director was bending over backwards to
please the huddled masses. The crowning glory of the day was when, I kid you
not, soprano Bette Davis made her way to the podium and sang "I know that my
Redeemer liveth"! I told the accompanist prior to the performance "Fasten your
seatbelt! It's going to be a bumpy aria!"!! I told myself "She'll do better
for the performance!"! Indeed it WAS about as bumpy as it gets!! One would have
to search long and deep to find ANY scintilla of "glory to God" in THAT!!
Madame sounded like a Rhode Island Red gearing up to drop 2 dozen extra-large
ones and THAT wasn't including the da capo! I thought to myself, certainly
this director isn't going to have the absence of taste to da capo this butchery
of anything Handel we've just lived thru! My good alto soloist fluttered her
left eyelash and I thought she was going to faint right there on the risers!
Just at that moment I thought "God's NIGHTGOWN! We're in the da capo!!"!

God, indeed, MUST have a profound sense of humor!

Ed

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23022 Re: Church Choir Alto Issue: i.e. Short-Ranged Sopranos Aren't AltosCindi Watersmusicteachky Mon  3/3/2003
23032 Re: Church Choir Alto Issue: i.e. Short-Ranged Sopranos Aren't AltosEdward Nortonbelcantist2003 Mon  3/3/2003
emusic.com