Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison" <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Feb 28, 2003  1:40 pm
Subject:  Re: RE: [vocalist] Church Choir Alto Issue: i.e. Short-Ranged Sopranos Aren't Altos...

Hi, Deanna!
Does the choral director get "Momma Tone" just by using the example? I'll
certainly have to try that. The tone I get out of retired ladies is about what
they were producing in High School. This MIGHT work!

Ed, I'm not Deanna, of course. But I can report that my community choir
director gets dramatic results from the alto section just by asking for the tone
(and demonstrating a "before" and "after" in his own voice, as best he can.)
And also doing it in fun with good humor and explaining why he's asking for the
tone (these days he's telling sopranos to keep us from over-singing: I just need
you to be beautiful, referring to the tone - which always gets a laugh; And
saying to the altos something like: what I need from you is substance, which
also gets a laugh, and then they do it).

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

emusic.com