Vocalist.org archive

From:  Edward Norton <belcantist2003@y...>
Date:  Fri Feb 28, 2003  3:41 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: the purpose(s) of liturgical singing

Dear Sharon & Listers:
A number of years back I sang one Sunday for an interdenominational faith church
and was the bass soloist for "In The Garden" (right out of the old Methodist
Cokesbury Hymnal!)! The catch to this was that any reference to God or Jesus
had to be changed to "it" in this church. If I live to be 100, I'll never
forget singing the chorus "And it walks with me and it talks with me! And it
tells me I am its own!"
Method acting! I kept telling the mezzo "You will NOT crack up or I WILL!!"!
After I got thru that, it was a piece of cake! Same goes for weddings and
funerals. Helpful if you don't know the deceased in the case of the funeral and
also helpful if they don't put one of those floral fiascoes with the telephone
off the hook right where you can see it during your solo! Mezzo friend saw
one, did a belly laugh and got fired by the funeral home right after the
service!
Ed

emusic.com