Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Fri Feb 28, 2003  3:09 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] whether to choose head or chest voice

BLUE444 wrote:

I am a college soprano, and I'm going to use
the Brahms "Sapphic Ode" for an audition-

Has anyone here done this one? Or can anyone
else help me with this?

The lowest note in this piece of lieder is just
a middle C. I am strong and fine in head voice down
there and my teacher is more impressed with sopranos
using head over chest voice on lower notes, but I
really do like the sound of the chest voice better
on the C's in this. What do you think? Would it be
better to just use the head voice all the way through?

Also, what do you think of using this as an audition
piece anyway?

+++Obviously, the answer here would depend on the individual voice. If you can
move smoothly into a good chest mix on the middle Cs, I love this sound myself.
If it doesn't match or if you can't go there smoothly, stick to the head mix.
If the song shows you to advantage, it should be a good audition piece. If not,
find another.

emusic.com