Vocalist.org archive

From:  Edward Norton <belcantist2003@y...>
Date:  Fri Feb 28, 2003  2:52 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Church Choir Alto Issue: i.e. Short-Ranged Sopranos Aren't Altos...

Dear Karen & Listers:
The book sounds really great! I'll look around and see if I can find it
somewhere. The American Guild of Organists has the motto "Soli Deo Gloria", you
know. This is something I try to keep in mind when dealing with church singers.
They do not have to be in the choir. They are doing the best that they know
how to do. I want to do like that old Army commercial and encourage them to
"Be All That You Can Be!", however.
Fortunately, I've not had any growlers in years. They do come along in church
choirs and there are two schools of thought there: School 1 (predominant in the
Southeastern USA): Everyone's gift (of song) is worthy. School 2 (usually high
Episcopal parishes here) No single individual must be allowed to ruin the gifts
of the group and this person should be encouraged to find other avenues of
praise.
When the choir hears me sing a solo and anyone wants to know "How did you do
that?", I ALWAYS take the time to demonstrate whatever raised the question. I
view this as a "teaching" ministry!
Very few books lurk out there for the church musician and I'll certainly look
forward to finding that one!
Again, I simply LIVE for your responses on the list and hope that in the near
future you'll add Fide's "Prison Scene" to your webpage! :) !!!
Thanks!
Ed

emusic.com