Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <naomi@n...>
Date:  Thu Feb 27, 2003  10:58 pm
Subject:  Re: the purpose(s) of liturgical singing

>3) We are not performing in church. We are singing in church. Church music
>is not intended to entertain or even inspire the "audience". There is no
>"audience" and there is no "performer". Egos need to be checked at the
>sanctuary door - they have absolutely no place in church singing.

In principle, I see merit in this idea: the house of worship is no
place for showing off one's voice in a vain way. But then again, I
don't see the concert hall that way either! For me singing is best
and most satisfying when it is grounded in communication, which takes
ego (or, let's say, self-knowledge) of a certain kind but not of
another.

I wonder what your attitude is toward hired soloists in a church
setting. Does it ruin it for you if they are not of the same belief
system as the congregation? I imagine we have all sung religious
music in places where we didn't "fit" -- I know I have. In that
sense, singing liturgical music *is* performing, investing it with
fervor and intensity which we may not truly feel. I personally don't
feel that the music I sing needs to espouse my own theology; I'm glad
I have the acting skill to sing committedly even on texts I don't
believe. If I didn't, I would miss out on some glorious music that I
adore, and listeners would miss out on hearing what I have to offer.

Just another perspective.
NGL
--
http://naomigurtlind.net

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22946 Re: the purpose(s) of liturgical singingSharon Szymanskisszymanski27514 Thu  2/27/2003
22960 Re: the purpose(s) of liturgical singingEdward Nortonbelcantist2003 Fri  2/28/2003
22956 Re: the purpose(s) of liturgical singingEdward Nortonbelcantist2003 Fri  2/28/2003
22974 Re: the purpose(s) of liturgical singingMargaret L. Harrisonpeggyliebman Fri  2/28/2003
23025 Re: the purpose(s) of liturgical singingCindi Watersmusicteachky Mon  3/3/2003
emusic.com