Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Thu Feb 27, 2003  8:18 pm
Subject:  the purpose(s) of church singing

Karen M. wrote:

> 3) We are not performing in church. We are singing in church. Church music is
not intended to entertain or even inspire the "audience". There is no "audience"
and there is no "performer". Egos need to be checked at the sanctuary door -
they have absolutely no place in church singing.

+++I am going to disagree with this statement, though, of course, much of the
problem is semantics, as usual. As a veteran (lifelong) church musician, I
have logged a lot of hours singing in church for the glory of the Deity, and I
have definite opinions about what that involves.

+++First of all, I have spent my life training to be an excellent vocal
performer. Why should that skill not be a worthy offering to present to the
Deity? I don't know your definition of "performing," but mine is creating my
art to the best of my ability for the purpose appropriate to the occasion. I
consider that in church I want to give the highest quality performance of which
I am capable.

+++Second, the audience includes anyone who is listening. That includes the
Deity and any humans who happen to be present. Once again I desire to give my
audience the best performance of which I am capable. If someone listening
happens to be inspired by my performance/offering, that is all to the good. The
Deity reaches and touches people in many different ways. If someone is
entertained by my performance, that is also fine. All the gifts of the Deity
can be honored in church, and entertainment is one of them.

+++Third, I believe ego is necessary in order for me to be a good performer in
the first place. If I didn't have ego, I would never have the nerve to get up
in front of people and sing in the first place! A swelled head is not helpful
-- that may be left at the door. Confidence in one's talent and joy in sharing
it is necessary and valuable.

**********

> Of course, I don't disagree with any efforts to improve the quality of
> church singing - but only if these efforts are motivated by the only
> reason church singing exists in the first place: to better glorify God.

+++I would venture to say that there may be many reasons for church singing to
exist, glorification of the Deity being one of them. Comforting the wounded
might be another. Inspiring the faithful (or not so faithful) might be another.
How can we humans have the nerve to say (limit) what higher purposes may be
served in such a setting? That is sometimes the trouble with religious
institutions and their members, however. They think they have all the answers
down pat! I say it's a bigger picture.

> Attempting to improve a singer's technique just to make her more pleasant for
her colleagues or even the congregation at large to listen to is NOT an
acceptable motivation in this situation.

+++Improving the quality of one's offering is always a good thing, no matter for
what purpose it is done.

> If, BTW, the priest or minister disagrees, I would be happy to engage him/ her
in a meaningful dialogue on the subject.

+++Well, I'm not a priest, but I am happy to engage in meaningful dialogue with
you. I doubt either of us will change our opinions (since it took me four
decades to form mine!), but perhaps it is worth noting that there ARE differing
opinions about this topic. It is definitely not cut and dried.

---
Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
> 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
> 901-843-3782; fax 843-3789
> dclark@r... http://www.rhodes.edu

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22944 Re: the purpose(s) of church singings odiana_92024 Thu  2/27/2003
22958 Re: the purpose(s) of church singingEdward Nortonbelcantist2003 Fri  2/28/2003
22951 Re: the purpose(s) of church singingSMSchneidersusan5s Fri  2/28/2003
22954 Re: the purpose(s) of church singingEdward Nortonbelcantist2003 Fri  2/28/2003
emusic.com