Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison" <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Feb 27, 2003  10:04 am
Subject:  Re: Re: [vocalist] General Question ....

Deborah Spencer <singsoprano2003@y...> wrote:

>I agree that in theory singers should be able to sing comtemporary music with a
classical technique. However when we spend most of our lives trying to make our
tones effortless and also seemless, why bother.

I can say, for myself, that the better my classical technique becomes, the
better I am able to sing well in other styles. My voice is freed up, and I can
think about the tone quality and other stylistic end I want, and I can do it
without effort.

Of course, if do non-classical singing for a while and want to go "back", I'd
have to spend time recalibrating, because the vocal demands of classical music
are more exacting. This isn't the greatest analogy, but it might be like a
runner moving between sprints and longer-distance running, or hurdles and the
mile. They require athletic ability and good basic running technique, but the
specific demands are different, and once an athlete achieves a high level of
performance in one, they probably are not going to compete in a different
running event.

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

emusic.com