Vocalist.org archive

From:  Edward Norton <belcantist2003@y...>
Date:  Thu Feb 27, 2003  12:23 pm
Subject:  Two books for your library

Hi Listers:
I'm going to have to pick the Lehmann book up! The local bookstore is ordering
it now for me. Another great singing book is "Hints to Singers" by Lillian
Nordica (Dover 0-486-40094-8, $4.95!!!)! I had to go to Alibiris to get her
student Frantz Proschowsky's book "The Way to Sing", tho. Proschowsky's pupil,
Weldon Whitlock, my college vocal coach, wrote "Bel Canto for the Twentieth
Century" and "Profiles In Vocal Pedagogy" which are also no longer in print!
I'd additionally recommend from Dover "Great Singers on the Art of Singing" by
Hariette Brower & James Francis Cooke ($7.95, Dover 0-486-29190-1). This book
is somewhat of an earlier generation "Great Singers on Great Singing", which was
written by the late Jerome Hines and probably should be in everyone's library of
vocal books. Brower and Cooke have interviews with Raisa, Alda, Farrar, Muzio,
Galli-Curci, Homer, Butt, Braslau, Schumann-Heink, Caruso, Werrenrath, Bispham,
Amato, etc, etc. The singers are long gone, but their vocal wisdom lingers on
thru these reprints and many of us know their talents thru transfers of 78s on
cds.

It's so neat that these books are out there and CHEAP!!

Ed

emusic.com