Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Wed Feb 26, 2003  11:03 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] General Question ....

Dear Michael and List:

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "edsmed969
<michael.gum@d...>" <michael.gum@d...> wrote:
> Ok to make all the operatic singer faint .. lol .. I sing in a 80's
> Rock and Dance band .. we do Journey, Bon Jovi and the like .. so
all
> the references to tony bennett and louis armstrong .. really doesnt
> hit where I am headed vocally .. lol

No need to be defensive - there's nothing wrong with an 80's Rock and
Dance Band (except I might wear ear plugs to protect my hearing from
the amplification). Just the same, I imagine the vocal style is a
bit distant from classical and you must sing with a microphone.

The reference to Tony Bennett was to give an example of a non-
classical singer whose technique, in my opinion, is not fundamentally
different from a classical singer.

I don't know why Louis Armstrong got thrown in - he may have sung,
but his clame to fame was his trumpet, and I would not describe his
raspy voice and vocal technique as close to classical.

> My vocal range isnt limited .. starts at a Bb an octave and a half
> below middle C and I sing up into F an octave above middle C. And
> try to maintain smooth breaks in my vocal range and good overtones
> with the help of a vocal coach.

I don't doubt that you have worked to have a smooth range and good
overtones. But unless your instrument is unusually high, the
extended range you describe is most likely made possible by smoothly
bridging into a lighter registration than a classical tenor.

Again, the microphone is a big issue, since the classical tenor is
relying on pure acoustic projection and so carries a "heavier"
registration up that generally limits the top to around high C - high
D.

I would again mention that if we should regard the Vocalist as a WEB-
SITE and not strictly a mailing list, there is a lot of good material
to be found by searching through the archive of previous messages at
the Yahoo groups web-site.

Around 6/23/2002 and before and after there were a lot of messages
about classical/non-classical technique etc.

Here is one example message: