Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Marcia & Dean" <mardean@m...>
Date:  Fri Jun 9, 2000  5:30 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] TECH: Fast vibrato causes?

Dear Suki,

I have a student with the "goat bleat" vibrato. She has been with me since
before I took Richard Miller's workshop last summer. In his class he gave
us an exercise which I passed on to my student and it has helped her quite a
bit. Her vibrato is still a little too fast, but I hear differences in the
stability of the tone. I'll try to describe it: he uses the syllables "ye,
ye, ye," on one note at a time, coming down on the following scale tones.
The exact sol-feg syllables are: do, do ti; te, te, la; le, le, sol; fa,
fa mi.

Some of you listers will recognize this one, I'm sure. By using the
appoggio technique with strongly supported tones, my student can now produce
a tone with a lot less throatiness and tongue tension, and she can now
continue the support until the end of the third note in each set.

I hope this helps some.

Musically Yours, Marcia McCarry

> Hi! I always considered a billy-goat vibrato to be caused by some kind of
> tension somewhere. Someone, recently, tried to convince me it was
natural,
> and that there was nothing wrong, which I still sincerely doubt.
>
> Have any of the other teachers on the list encountered this type of
problem
> in a student or elsewhere? And what did you do to help it, if not cure
it?

> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> A ponderous Suki T.

emusic.com