Vocalist.org archive

From:  "edsmed969 <michael.gum@d...
Date:  Wed Feb 26, 2003  9:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] General Question ....

Ok to make all the operatic singer faint .. lol .. I sing in a 80's
Rock and Dance band .. we do Journey, Bon Jovi and the like .. so all
the references to tony bennett and louis armstrong .. really doesnt
hit where I am headed vocally .. lol (not an attempt to be offensive)
My vocal range isnt limited .. starts at a Bb an octave and a half
below middle C and I sing up into F an octave above middle C. And I
try to maintain smooth breaks in my vocal range and good overtones
with the help of a vocal coach.

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Spencer
<singsoprano2003@y...> wrote:

> In this country Jo Estill's method seems to be the generally
accepted approach to teaching contemprary singing technique as
opposed to classical training. Although I have not learnt Estill
technique, there is a great difference in the sound of these two
approaches. Firstly there seems to be a greater emphasis on "twang".
Secondly there seems to be a much wider aceptance of breathy and
parlando approaches in contemprary singing. Thirdly many of the
singers seem to have a reduced vocal range. They also often seem to
emphasise rather than smooth out natural breaks that occur in a
singer with no classically training. Eg (like yodelling in country
and Western).

> I agree that in theory singers should be able to sing comtemporary
music with a classical technique. However when we spend most of our
lives trying to make our tones effortless and also seemless, why
bother,.

> Further I remember a vocal conference I attended with apparantly
one of the top teachers in the USA. What he found was that after
analysing the sounds of professional singers both contemporary and
classical that the later had a longer and and more complex set of
overtones on ever note. Further that this tended to occur through out
the range. The contemporary singers on the other hand tended to have
a very uneven sequence of overtones. The speech format was sometimes
missing or there where other gaps in the bottom or middle.

> Further he found that singers like Louie Armstron tended to make
alot of use of the false vocal folds on either side of the regular
vocal folds.

> "edsmed969 <michael.gum@d...>" <michael.gum@d...> wrote:
> Ok, so what your saying is .. that since I sing and sang 'popular'
> music and not 'operatic' music when I was originally trained ..
that