Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Wed Feb 26, 2003  8:46 pm
Subject:  Re: General Question ....

Dear "Gummy" and List:
--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "edsmed969
<michael.gum@d...>" <michael.gum@d...> wrote:
> As far a vocal training .. how would you classify training as a
> classically trained vocalist? Is it by the music preformed or the
> method of training ?

Just my opinion - that's kind of a tricky question.

In my opinion, there are well-trained voices in different styles. But
there is a sort of typical "classical" style that I would describe as
follows:

a) A "rounder" sound - generally a bit lower larynx position than in
styles that sound more speech like. For an example of the opposite
of a slightly lowered larynx, think Willie Nelson.

b) More emphasis on sustained sounds and a "legato".

c) More consistent vibrato.

d) Emphasis on resonance and not using a microphone to be heard.

e) Different registration practices - especially for the female voice.
See a nice summary message by Mike "greypins":