Vocalist.org archive

From:  "edsmed969 <michael.gum@d...
Date:  Wed Feb 26, 2003  8:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] General Question ....

Ok, so what your saying is .. that since I sing and sang 'popular'
music and not 'operatic' music when I was originally trained .. that
I was not trained classically ???

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, Cindi Waters
<musicteachky@y...> wrote:

> Hello, Margaret, Ed, and vocalisters. I was trained basically as a
classical singer. Later on I decided to pursue an avenue on interest
in commercial singing. I did not pursue it, but I did study a little
bit in that area. I can say that without doubt there is a big
difference in the style. The early vocal pedagogues understood that
once a pop area is tried by the vocalist, it is more than likely the
operatic purity will be lost. While I did not lose my ability to sing
classically, I also noticed a difference of thought, thus approach.
Cindi
<michael.gum@d...> wrote:

> > As far a vocal training .. how would you classify training as a
classically trained vocalist? Is it by the music preformed or the
method of training?

> I would say it could be either, both, or neither.
>
> I think, from reading discussions on this list, that
the "classical" method of vocal study refers for most people to the
teaching of a vocally healthy manner of singing, which is capable of
being applied in a stylistically correct manner to the
performance "classical" vocal music (opera and art song, and artistic
settings of folksong). This type of teaching can be applied to any
style of music, but for a student who wants to learn to healthily
sing other styles to be happy, the teacher would need to be very
familiar with the style of music the student wants to learn.

> Peggy
>

> Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

Service.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22875 Re: General Question ....Michael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Wed  2/26/2003
22998 Re: General Question ....Cindi Watersmusicteachky Sat  3/1/2003
23003 Re: General Question ....Cindi Watersmusicteachky Sat  3/1/2003
22876 Re: General Question ....Deborah Spencersingsoprano2003 Wed  2/26/2003
22877 Re: General Question ....edsmed969 <michael.gum@d...>edsmed969 Wed  2/26/2003
22883 Re: General Question ....Michael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Wed  2/26/2003
emusic.com