Vocalist.org archive

From:  Cindi Waters <musicteachky@y...>
Date:  Wed Feb 26, 2003  8:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Question about legato

Hello Listers, and Steve: You were talking about metaphors in singing. Thinking
about that lately, I studied years ago with a wonderful singer from the Met with
an apartment/studio at the wonderful and famous Hotel Ansonia. She was an
excellent, excellent teacher and warm-hearted person. Anyway -- she used many
metaphors such as, think of the top of your head with a string attached and
someone pulling at the top...! Now, while she said those things, I was more or
less warmed up ... or past the initial warm-up stage in the lesson, and they did
enable me to move into the thought. However, I do believe the metaphorical
effect would have lasted longer if I had been presented with a more scientific,
consistent analysis of my body movement as well as the metaphorical concept.
This is after years of thinking later. As I said, I heard a currently famous
singer with an absolutely wonderful soprano voice give an interview on the radio
recently and she said that while she was evidently naturally gifted as a younger
singer, she really didn't learn to produce the high notes consistently until she
continued taking lessons with the right teacher. All this happened after she
turned pro. Joan Sutherland also said the same thing in her autobiography about
her studies, in which she was raised/trained as a deeper soprano but had to be
taught to use her upper register properly. Only then did she (was she able to)
sing the coloratura soprano repertoire. Cindi

emusic.com