Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Steve Fraser <Steve.Fraser@j...
Date:  Wed Feb 26, 2003  4:01 pm
Subject:  Re: Grammys

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "CUBETA, Jeff"
<cubeta@p...> wrote passionately about the value of music education.

Hi, Jeff.

I have to tell you that the situation you describe is not universal.
Here in North Texas, (actually, throughout the State) vocal music,
bands, orchestras, musicals, etc. get lots of support. I could write
a book about it, but today I will just say that part of this comes
from the expectation of the community. That community expectation is
expressed in School Board Policy, which then funds curricula, and
encourages involvement of students and parents at many levels.

As for competition with sport for $ that (of course) still occurs.
But, for all of its faults, the way Texas handles it works pretty
well: The organization that structures and administers all Jr. Hi and
Sr Hi sport (sets up leagues, ranks schools into size groups, etc)
does the same for ALL other activities as well... debate, vocal &
instrumental solos & ensemble competitions, 'all-state' choirs, bands
and orchestras, twirlers, precision flag groups. The teachers
themselves (and from the colleges,too) do the adjudications for each
other. The effect: it is a HUGE deal in Texas to make the all-state
choir. Literally thousands of singers participate in the program
every year. Not only do you have to be an accomplished singer, but
you need to be able to sightread well, and BE ON YOUR GAME the day of
the audition.

So, if you really want to have a culture that values music, then you
have to get involved at the level where curriculum is cost-
justfied... in the minds of the parents in the community. In the
minds of the school boards and administrators. In the minds of the
students.

All the best,

Steven Fraser

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22888 Re: GrammysLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Thu  2/27/2003
emusic.com