Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@a...>
Date:  Tue Feb 25, 2003  10:01 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Grammys

I didn't watch the Grammys. I was pre-warned so I decided to abstain.
However for a few comments I've read I would like to make comments.

To which Les wrote:

>I'm not so sure it's "the musical world" that is at fault as much as
>it is the big recording companies.

The Grammy awards are not necessarily presented for the best music or
singer in the "Music World." (You knew that though, right Duh!) The
"Music World" is not to blame for this mess. And it's not the big
recording companies either. Sure, the big labels choose which albums to
send in to the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences (NARAS) but
the NARAS is NOT who decides winners. They just hand out the little
statues.

So who does the voting? The NARAS voters. There's a thousand of them and
more every year. The qualifications to be a voter are simple.
Individuals must provide proof of being either a producer, composer,
engineer, songwriter, or even a writer of liner notes on released
recordings. Once those credits are confirmed, you literally your pay
dues, currently $65 a year, and presto, you're a voting member. You
cannot vote if you are a Musician, a singer, an artist, a record label
or radio person or disk jockey, or a music critic. Even if you're the
president of the most powerful record company in the world, you don't
get to vote. Simply stated, if you are artistically inclined or trained
as a performing musician you can't vote!

Does this give you some clue as to why some "barely pubescent teen,
intoning a three note dirge in a dull, lifeless unexceptional voice"
artist wins? The NARAS says, "Selection of winners are made either from
the creative side or from the technical side." Notice the words 'musical
side' are not mentioned.

There it is, in a nutshell. Yes, it's a sad state.

Dr Dean

"Success does not come with the gifts from God.
Success comes from the talents you develop from
the gifts He gives you." (Riker-Next Generation)

22854 Re: Grammyslestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Tue  2/25/2003
emusic.com