Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Mon Feb 24, 2003  10:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The Language of Singing & Pharyngeal space

More recently he wrote the following (Pharyngeal space):

>Basically, any conscious attempt to enlarge the pharyngeal area or
>any part of that area results in little more than a tensing of the
>muscles that would be in involved in achieving this goal. A much
>better and easier method is to produce a particular vowel sound,
>imitating the sound as produced by the teacher in the speaking voice
>and then applying this pronunciation to the singing voice.
>
>We achieve alterations in the vocal tract much more quickly by
>imitating a particular vowel which creates the desired vocal tract
>configuration automatically. Although the vocal tract is possessed
>of many voluntary muscle systems it basically functions as an
>involuntary unit because we manipulate it through our skills at
>imitation more than through our conscious awareness of its voluntary
>potential.

I was very glad to read both of the messages from which I quoted
above, and am impressed that the same person would write about the
importance of learning the names and descriptions of the structures
of human anatomy that are used in singing, as well as about the
ineffectiveness of directly attempting to control those same
structures. I suspect that the interest in learning some basic
anatomy will increase as singers and singing teachers understand how
to translate anatomical knowledge into practical, effective
application that results in better singing. Although I find myself in
agreement with the views expressed in both of the messages from which
I have quoted, I often find myself wondering how my knowledge of
anatomy can help me be a better singer or teacher. Still, I'm sure
that a more accurate, true understanding of human anatomy must be
more helpful than a less accurate or false one, and I find myself
irritated when I read or hear descriptions of singing that are
obviously absurd. Lloyd, I'd be interested in reading how your
improved understanding of human anatomy and functioning has helped
you to become a better singer and a better teacher. I think that some
specific examples could be very helpful. I have in mind something
along the lines of "Before I knew THIS, I used to have my students do
SO AND SO, but afterward I had my students do SUCH AND SUCH". Perhaps
the application of anatomical knowledge is not so straightforward,
but then again maybe it is.

John Link

http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink

emusic.com