Vocalist.org archive

From:  "ingo_d <ingo_d@y...
Date:  Mon Feb 24, 2003  10:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Grammys

<smschneider23@r...> wrote:
> I won't bother commenting on vocal production in this set of
> genres. There's so little to talk about there.

But isn't this a case of horses for courses? I wouldn't expect (nor
want!) pop music to have the same vocal production as classical
music. I cringe whenever I hear Pavarotti try to sing a pop song in
operatic voice -- it's just ridiculous. I don't think it makes a
lot of sense to try to compare the two.

Also, while I agree with Erica that the industry is going through
yet another phase of piling on the vocal pyrotechnics (e.g., baby
sounds, affectations) there are still performers out there who sing
something resembling a melody line.

Cheers,
Ingo

emusic.com