Vocalist.org archive

From:  "lestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...
Date:  Mon Feb 24, 2003  5:43 pm
Subject:  Re: Digest Number 1456

Dear Michelle et al,
Michelle: "I honestly thought the Grammies were appalling. I was
actually sickened by the fact that the so-called musical world that
it supposedly represents has truly descended to the lowest common
denomenator."
*************
I'm not so sure it's "the musical world" that is at fault as much as
it is the big recording companies. They have destroyed innovation
with their commerialism, hype and unwillingness to take chances.
Worse, one need not be a musician to run a recording company. That
means the people who decide what will become popular and what won't
most likely are musical know nothings. The results speak for
themselves.

Randy had mentioned a bottom-up, grass-roots type change looming on
the horizon. I hope he's right. Who knows? It may come from an
entirely new direction?!?!? I worry though, because it sure seems
that the great recording houses have all the control because they
have the power and the money. They also have the public brainwashed
into thinking that they're really interested in protecting
intellectual property when they're really out to protect their
profits. The law is on their side and they are not accountable to
anyone. Kinda reminds me of that movie with Jeff bridges where he
tries to market a new car but the big manufacturers sabotage his
business. What was the name of that show?

I kinda did what you did though; I'd watch with a sort of morbid
curiosity for a few minutes until I couldn't stand it any more, then
go do something else.
Regards,
Les

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22836 Re: Digest Number 1456Steve Fraser <Steve.Fraser@j...>dstevenfraser Mon  2/24/2003
22838 Tucker AutomobilesLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Mon  2/24/2003
emusic.com