Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Feb 24, 2003  3:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Digest Number 1456

In a message dated 2/24/2003 8:54:54 AM Central Standard Time,
drama_diva_au@y... writes:

> Please, please, I'm totally open to be convinced otherwise. I would
> seriously love for any or all of you to be able to prove to me that I'm
> just old, crusty, jaded and out of touch. I desperately want to be
> convinced I'm missing out on something, that there are masses of talented
> performers out there, writing music, performing, (yes even SINGING, dare I
> hope for it) making CD's that I simply MUST have and am just too poor to
> buy. But if what my students bring to me, what I hear on the radio, what
> was represented by roughly 15 minutes of an "award show" (and the adverts
> with that other disposable flavour-of-the-month young thing Norah Jones) is
> anything to go by I'm not holding out much hope.

Pop music is dead right now. Rock and r&b have had dominance over the form
for over 50 years...that's a long time. Nothing new is coming out, it is
rehashed and recycled and in a big holding pattern waiting for something new
to come along and wipe it out. I have no idea what that is, but some 15 year
old kid in a basement somewhere does and hopefully he/she is doing it right
now. The new movement always comes from underneath and it will again.

I do disagree about norah jones, she is not a flavor of the month. I'm not a
huge fan of her voice (kind of a bad billie holiday imitation) but she will
have some sort of an audience and the people who are listening to her tend to
be a little older, so there is hope that some decent adult pop music can
still be heard. BTW, she wasn't shoved down people's throats. She's on a
jazz label (blue note) and kind of came out of nowhere. She's not great,
she's alright, but is refreshing at least.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22831 Re: Digest Number 1456lestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Mon  2/24/2003
22836 Re: Digest Number 1456Steve Fraser <Steve.Fraser@j...>dstevenfraser Mon  2/24/2003
22838 Tucker AutomobilesLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Mon  2/24/2003
emusic.com