Vocalist.org archive

From:  Erica Zweig <ezweig@e...>
Date:  Mon Feb 24, 2003  5:25 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Grammys

Perhaps that I am currently on the internet with the Grammy's in the
background is commentary in and of itself. So far, my overall
impression is that the singing is incidental to pop music. It is buoyed
up by "older" styles, ie Country (ie Dixie Chicks) having taken the spot
folk rock (ie Si & Gar, James Taylor) once held. Effects, 'isms,
affectations, imitations of baby sounds, airiness, tightness, nasality
to diction's detriment, yelling--this seems to be what passes for
singing thus far. When I hear a singing "artist" I am struck by the
lesser-featured aspects--ie the piano work or the guitar work or the
"background" musicians (who are carrying the song) or the overall
music--but not the singer's singing. But I'll keep listening, I
suppose, until the end of the show in hopes of being pleasantly
surprised--or at least not too jaded.
Looking forward to others' impressions.
-Erica

Lloyd W. Hanson wrote:

>Dear Vocalisters:
>
>I watched the Grammys tonight. I would be interested in the comments
>of members of this list. It might all of us an indication of the
>basic attitudes of our members toward singing in general. No stones
>will be thrown. This is an open family discussion. I hope!

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22825 Re: Grammyslestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Mon  2/24/2003
emusic.com