Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Steve Fraser <Steve.Fraser@j...
Date:  Sat Feb 22, 2003  4:17 am
Subject:  Re: soft palate

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Jean Marie Henderson"
wrote about the possiblity of nerve or muscle connection between the
cheeks and the soft palate that would cause the palate to rise when
the cheeks are raised.

Hoo, ah! This is a great question! And though I know anatomy pretty
well, I do not know what anatomical connections would do that. BUT,
I do know that it happens, so my initial speculation is that it is a
part of one or another reflex that increases survival. I'd bet that
the raised cheeks are much like what happens reflexively when a baby
squints to cry, and the raising of the palate and the relaxing of the
throat increase the efficiency of the 'cry' tone.

Any other thoughts from listers?

Regards,

Steven Fraser

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22812 Re: soft palateReg Boyletranquil2404 Sat  2/22/2003
emusic.com