Vocalist.org archive

From:  patricia.m.smith@j...
Date:  Thu Feb 20, 2003  12:59 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: The Music Man

Hi everyone!
I wished there was some talk about "The Music Man" prior to its airing
because we would have taped it. Is anyone aware of it being rebroadcast
anytime soon?

I'm interested in the comments about Broderick's singing. In Chicago he
played both J. Pierpoint Finch in "How to Suceed in Business...", which
we did not see but he was quite sucessful in that role &, of course, Leo
Bloom in "The Producers", which we did see & ge was terrific. We were
concerned that he wouldn't be nearly as neurotic as Gene Wilder in the
movie but he was! His singing, however, struck me as nasally early on in
the show but I think that was just part of the stick. His voice seemed to
blossom as the character blossoms but it was a light sound. He never
belted like Nathan Lane & I have the same reaction to him on the Broadway
cast recording. Both of these roles are very different from Harold Hill &
I have a hard time picturing him in the role. I keep thinking "Inspector
Gadget". :-)

An aside to Karen: Will Smith as Harold Hill? A million times, "YES"!

Pat

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

emusic.com