Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jean Marie Henderson" <jeaniebean77@h...>
Date:  Wed Feb 19, 2003  12:01 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] The Music Man

I enjoyed it as well, but Sharon, I have to disagree about Matthew Brodrick.
I could never find Robert Preston remotely attractive - I could never
understand why Marion went to the trouble. With Matthew Brodrick, I can
believe it.

I liked the way the soprano used her voice. It wasn't as classical
sounding, I think Shirley Jones sang fairly classically, as I expected. The
mix was a little different - it seemed to me that she didn't lighten up into
"head voice" (for lack of a better term) until higher than we would in
classical singing. To me, the color shift when she did shift seemed not as
even, but it didn't sound remotely unhealthy. Just a stylistic and personal
preference, I guess.

I wonder how much "doctoring" goes on in recording studios in classical
music compared to musical theatre. Obviously, it happens a lot in pop
music. Does anyone know how much manipulation is typical for these sorts of
things. Audrey Hepburn and Natatlie Wood being dubbed do come to mind.
They are beautiful, but I can't help whispering nastily when I see those
movies "You're dubbed, you're dubbed!!"

I never said I was normal . ..
Jean Marie