Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Christine Thomas" <Mezzoid@w...>
Date:  Tue Feb 18, 2003  11:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The Music Man

Kristin Chenoweth trained at Oklahoma City University and is a wonderful singer.
As far as operatic capabilities, listen to her song "The Girl in 14-G" on her
CD Let Yourself Go. It was written for her to show off her belt, character
voice, opera voice and scat. The song is about a little mouse who moves into a
quiet new apartment, only to find to her chagrin that her downstairs neighbor is
"an opera wannabe in 13G - a matinee of some cantata, Wagner's RING and
TRAVIATA," and then she sings excerpts from Mozart, Wagner, etc. After that
neighbor pipes down and she settles down to sleep, she's awakened by the
upstairs neighbor, "She's scattin' like her name was Ella, guess who answers a
cappella?" and proceeds to scat and respond with soprano echos.

Excellent CD - also features a Gershwin duo with Jason Alexander, who has one
really big "George" (SEINFELD) moment in the song (I ask my students to listen
to it and tell me if they know who it is, and they don't till then, and then
they say, "George!!"). Shows a real variety of style. Can't say enough about
her.

Christine Thomas
Voice Studio of Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

"If you look goofy, you probably sound goofy."
--Marianna Busching