Vocalist.org archive

From:  "eren_aydiw <eren.aydin@a...
Date:  Tue Feb 18, 2003  10:28 am
Subject:  PREMIERE LA FAVORITE!!!!! WHAT A DISAPPOINTING NIGHT!!!!!!!!!

Vienna 17. February 2003

Everyone was so excited about tonight. Yet it turned out to be a
catastrophe. La Favorite; a great opera by Donizetti. Beautiful music. A good
orchestra conducted very well by Fabio LUISI.
Leonor sung by Violetta URMANA. Before the performance the director has
informed that she is ill but sang very well. Though not the perfect voice for
Leonor. She has a beautiful voice but La Favorite is more Verdi than Donizetti.
And her voice faded behind the music at some points. Even if it didn't, her
voice wasn't fully there. The illness may have an effect on that. I'd rather
listen Dolora ZAJICK singing the role.
Fernand was sung by Giuseppe SABBATINI. The voice was often flat. Even
though he has the high notes he had a terrible intention of going into falsett
which was not a good idea at all. And when he sang the high notes with full
voice they were too narrow. He was singing as if he didn't want to sing tonight.
No power. No passion in his voice. He gave a quite boring performance tonight.
Also not good for the role. Though I can't seem to think of anyone who could
sing it these days. Where is Miguel FLETA?
Alphonse was Carlos ALVAREZ. He saved the night. I was starting to think he
was loosing his voice last season after he sang all the Don Carlo's but tonight
he was fully on stage. The voice was there. Healthy. Good for the role. Big
sound.
The worst thing about the night was of course the production itself.
Directed by John DEW. Scenery Thomas GRUBER. Costume Jose-Manuel VASQUEZ. These
three charlatans have made the possible success, a sucksess. The horrible
scenery was marking the singers with the silly tv screens showing some kind of
sea in a white room. Or the ridicolous huge crown in the background which would
stay other way around in each scene.
I haven't seen such an amature direction in my life. Not even in a kindergarten
theatre. Who gave this guy the oppurtunity to direct an opera? Vienna is getting
lost.
And the costume designer... Was he stoned when he designed? Some costumes were
from the correct time whereas in some scenes it felt like catwalk 2003. I think
the guy is really confused. They all got what they deserved but not enough. Lots
of Boooo. What I don't understand is how can these undeveloped human beings do
bussiness in such big houses. Public don't want them, the artists don't want
them. So who does? The director of the opera? Hollywood is paying millions of
dollars to get a movie right, in the original costumes and scenery, and these
dumpsters are going with the not cheap but ugly scenery and costumes. Who is
gonna stop the maddness? Another unhappy night at the opera.. After the first
bow half of the house was empty... Sad... Just sad...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22754 Re: PREMIERE LA FAVORITE!!!!! WHAT A DISAPPOINTING NIGHT!!!!!!!!!Lloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Wed  2/19/2003
emusic.com