Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Nande <divananny@h...
Date:  Mon Feb 17, 2003  4:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Rolling R's

Les wrote:
> Dear Vocalisters,
> Something that seems to work well is to have the student do a
> raspberry, then withdraw the tongue to the alveolar arch while
> never stopping the sound.
******
Dear Les,
what is a 'raspberry' other than a pink kind of fruit??
******
Les also wrote:
> I wonder if anybody who lives
> in a country where they roll R's regularly, has noticed this
> disability among their population.
******

Yes, it happens here as well, and quite often! (I'm in the
Netherlands) In general, the 'r' here is rolled, but loads of people
tend to make their r's in their throats, which sounds quite a lot
like a softer version of our 'g'. Some of these people (like myself)
are (still) unable to roll their r's..... (It's frustrating, I've
tried everything, but never long enough, I must add. It feels like my
tongue just won't do it!)
I must say though that I am very surprised that native english
speakers can actually do the rolled r, since it's so rarely used...

Kind regards,
Nande

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22722 Re: Rolling R'slestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Mon  2/17/2003